Nova Scotia Hospice Care Association (“we,” or “us”) respect the privacy of our client families and website visitors.
Personal Information. “Personal Information” means information that identifies, relates to, or describes, directly or indirectly, a particular individual, such as: name, address, email address, or phone number.
Information We Collect Online
Through the Sites. We may collect and store the following Personal Information when you submit it through our Sites. We may use this information for typical business purposes (including auditing our interactions with our customers or website visitors, for internal reporting purposes, or security and anti-fraud purposes) and as described more specifically below:
- Personal Identifiers. We receive personal identifiers that you provide to us (such as your name, phone number, email address, billing address, shipping address, date of birth, and use them to respond to your requests, to create new member accounts at your request, to fulfill your orders for merchandise and services, or to communicate with you for marketing and informational purposes (you may opt out of receiving marketing emails from us at any time by using the unsubscribe link located in the email). We will also create a client number when you make a purchase so that we can identify you.
- Message Content. We collect the messages you submit to us through contact, sign-up, and purchase forms on the Sites, such as customer service requests, messages you would like us to provide to delivery recipients, and delivery instructions. We use this information to respond to and fulfill your requests, and to improve our Sites and our service and merchandise offerings.
- Audio and Visual Information. We receive any digital photographs and audio files you submit through the Sites. We post this information to public areas of the Sites at your direction.
- Financial Information. We do not collect financial information (such as payment card and bank account information). Donations and payments for services are processed through online credit card processors (Stripe, Canadahelps and Eventbrite). We do not store your payment card information
- Anonymous or Aggregated Information. We may de-identify or aggregate data and may use and disclose it for any business purpose.
A “cookie” is a small data file that we transfer to your browser or mobile device. Most browsers provide controls allowing you to block receipt of cookies, to delete cookies, or to be prompted before cookies are received. Please note that, if you delete or choose not to receive cookies from our Sites, the functionality of the Sites may be impaired. To find out more about cookies, including how to manage or delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
We use third-party advertising services to serve advertisements on our behalf when you visit some of our Sites and other websites, third-party email services to send informational and marketing email to you, and third-party analytics services to help us understand and improve the usage of our Sites and the effectiveness of our marketing efforts. In some situations, we permit the companies providing these services to set and access cookies (and use similar data tools, such as “pixel tags” or “web beacons”) through our Sites and our emails, and these companies may collect, for example, your personal identifiers (such as IP address, device and browser identifiers and characteristics, and anonymous identifiers) and information about your device (such as operating system and language preferences) and your usage activity on the Sites (such as your interaction with our Sites, the link you used to reach them, and the content and advertising displayed on them and our content and advertising on other websites and online services) and use this information to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you on our Sites and other non-affiliated websites and/or to provide analytical information for our Sites. Third-party companies also may collect and combine information about your online activities over time, on other devices, and on other websites or online services, if those websites and online services also use the same companies. Information about cookies and similar technology placed by third-party companies on our Sites and their related data practices is set forth below.
Retention of Personal Information
We only keep information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected and as permitted or required by law, such as to comply with recordkeeping and other legal obligations. There may also be residual information that will remain within our backup files, databases, and other records, which will not be removed or changed, except in accordance with retention policies.
Protecting Personal Information
We employ reasonable security measures to secure and protect the information we receive. Please remember, though, that no method of electronic transmission or storage is 100% secure.
We may provide third parties with the Personal Information we collect (as described above) for our business purposes to assist us in providing products and services to you, including to process
transactions, deliver products at your request, or to help us market products and services to you. We also disclose Personal Information as described below:
To Provide, Protect, and Improve Our Sites, Merchandise, and Services. We disclose Personal Information as necessary to operate our business, such as to third-party service providers and affiliates in connection with providing services to you or processing your transactions. We require that those providers use Personal Information only for that purpose, and we also require assurances that they will appropriately protect Personal Information entrusted to them. We also may access, preserve, and disclose information if we believe that such action is necessary in our judgment to protect and defend our rights or property, or those of others. For example, we may provide information, including IP address information, to our service providers to protect the Sites, such as for fraud detection purposes.
To Comply with the Law and Legal Process. We may access, preserve, and disclose information concerning you if required to do so by law or if we believe that such action is necessary in our judgment to comply with a legal obligation.
You May Share with Social Networking Websites. The Sites may provide options allowing you to share information with social networking websites, such as Facebook. Their use of the information you share will be governed by their privacy policies, and we are not responsible for how they treat the information.
No Use by Children Under the Age of 18
The Sites are not intended for use by children under the age of 18. If you are under the age of 18, you may not use our Sites. If a parent or legal guardian posts an entry on behalf of a child under the age of 18 on an online guestbook or other section of the Sites, the parent or legal guardian must indicate that such entry is being made on behalf of the child by the parent or legal guardian. Caution and good judgment should be used in connection with any information provided concerning the child. We do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use Personal Information from children under 18 years of age. If we believe that any information has been posted by a child under the age of 18, we will promptly delete that information. Parents may contact us using the methods set forth below to request that information concerning their child be removed from our Sites.